November 6, 2008

Storms


Not long ago, I mentioned to a friend that I too often feel as though I dog paddle in the shallow water of God's Word and tread content in the knowledge of His ways. I'm very familiar with the hypnotic apathy that can come from rocking on the raft of easy times and calm rivers. But when the winds begin to pick up and the gentle waves from rhythmic predictability in life transforms into whitecaps...I'm searching for the lifeguard.

When I was around 10 years old, I was out on a ski boat with my Dad, little brother, uncle and cousins. We'd been boating out in the gulf bay when a storm quickly arose. The waves were fun as long as the sun was out, but the darkening sky and my father's furrowed brow made me increasingly nervous. We were still a bit of distance from the shore when lightening bolted through the sky, the wind snapped the boat's flag on its rod and a big "BANG" came from the boat's hull.

My uncle scurried about the boat searching for a flashlight while my dad gazed at the back motor.

"We've lost one of the engine's propellers!" my father shouted. One minute later the second "bang" came and all the kids were told to go quickly to the front of the boat. The tears cascaded down my cheek and at that moment, I wished 3 things:
  1. That the storm would pass as quickly as it came,
  2. That I knew how to swim in turbulent waters, and
  3. That my father's face did not look so foreboding.
The same thing happens to us as Christians today though the scene may look a bit different. We find ourselves either wading through incredible "storms" of our own or are watching others in them from the shore. The sky is dark and camouflages the sun, while unpredictable, unseen winds are felt with such vehement force, tall strong trees are bent low in their wake. That's a great posture for us to imitate...bent low...with the remembrance that our God is in control of our storms.

Ps.107:28, 29 "Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he brings them out of their distresses. He makes the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still." The Lord taught His disciples incredible lessons, as well as reveal His character to them in the midst of storms.

He has also promised and reminded me this morning of Isaiah 42:3a "A bruised reed shall He not break." Our God is more than familiar with the bruises and wounds that can pain us (Isa.53:5) and a "reed" is very fragile. Maybe you are bent over by the sheer force of the winds in your circumstances. He has promised...His trial is not meant for our destruction.

I've also discovered that the Lord does not want us to just "drift along" in life nor stay shallow in our understanding of His Word, ways, and wisdom. Spurgeon had this to share in his devotional:


To us the promise is, "the rivers shall not overflow thee," but no such word of consolation was vouch-safed to him. My soul, thy Well beloved endured all this for thee. Many waters could not quench his love, neither could the floods drown it; and, because of this, thou hast the rich benefit of that covenant assurance, "as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee." He stemmed the torrent of almighty wrath, that we might for ever rest in Jehovah's love.
I know I'm stating the obvious, but the face of our Heavenly Father is never frightened, doubtful, nor anxious. It never conveys uncertainty nor indecision. We know that...so could it be that we do not "look" at Him, but like Peter, the crashing waves demand our attention and we submit? For in the face of our Abba Father, we may find what Noah found, Gen. 6:8 "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD." Yes, it means God was merciful to him, but is it not also that God's eyes conveyed grace to Noah in his need? Ps.80:3 "Turn us again, O God, and cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved." God's face can shine upon those whose heart is right towards Him and in His face is salvation and glory. Maybe you can find great comfort in His Word today from Psalm 46,


Ps 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.