November 28, 2008

A Heart For Disaster Relief

If I were to say the word emergency or catastrophe in reference to a situation in my life, what kind of scenario would you imagine? If I were to post "We have had a disaster at home and would appreciate your prayers," I can just imagine the types of thoughts that would go through your mind.

According to the media, that oft-sought resource that helps shape American's thoughts, ideas and understandings of truth, I have sorely under-estimated the trauma that so many are going through these days. I turned on the TV this morning and saw "The Today Show" for the first time in years. They were doing a segment on "Quick Fixes For At-Home Disasters" and I stopped what I was doing to pay attention. Here is what they labeled as "disastrous" situations that can happen:


1. Your wet bar glass sticks to the napkin from moisture. (Salt is their quick fix for such trauma.)
2. If you break a glass, use several slices of bread to pick up the shards. (About half a loaf for a small glass)
3. When you have unexpected guests and need to chill champagne or wine very quickly...they gave some dry ice advice.
4. For the trauma of your dog traveling too long in a car or plane, a circulation rub-down can help.

After watching a Shih-Tzu get massaged in his designer pet bed, the TV went off. Where am I? Is this truly what Americans are struggling with today? It was "The Today Show" so I guess I am completely out of touch. My mind recalled what I heard from a British woman a year or two ago, "We see Americans as very weak people. The majority are in therapy needing drugs and analysts while we find gardening more than therapeutic." I then thought of a missionary pastor who said "In America, you think nothing of wasting the food we only dream about. We would never need a food disposal in our sink." Yes...I saw several slices of bread used to pick up a broken bar glass...home "disaster" averted. Lord, help us.



Before I went on the mission field, my pastor gave me the most excellent advice. He said "Shannon, if you stay on the mission field for a lengthy period of time, be careful that you don't come back to America with an attitude. You'll see poverty, tribulation and suffering like you've never seen or experienced here in the States, and it can tempt you as a missionary to come back with an attitude towards everyone around you. It's not other's fault that they haven't been exposed to what you have and their views have not been changed by what you've been privileged to experience." And don't you know...it was phenomenal and needful advice.



If you're a Christian, remember that you too, are a missionary (1Pet.2:11; Heb.11:13; 1Pet.1:17-19) while here on earth. We may get tempted to be cynical and sarcastic with those around us (like I did this morning!), but our exposure to true suffering, trials and difficult circumstances vary one from another. My "mountain" may be someone else's "mole hill" in comparison. The important thing is that we be like Jesus in a country that has taken much for granted. I need to remember that I'm an ambassador from heaven on a temporary mission trip to point as many people to salvation as I can. If your neighbor is like the rich, young ruler, Jesus response to his questions was, "Mk. 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him..." and spoke the truth to him. Your neighbor or friend might be like the poor widow (Mk.12:42) to which He honored by using her as an example to his disciples. Jesus said we will always have poor people around us.


To this day, Jesus doesn't look down in disgust or frustration at our inability to understand what HE suffered on our behalf, so I pray we have the same heart towards one another in these last days. Your neighbor may go from the disaster of a broken wine glass to a broken marriage...and I pray that we are people they're drawn to for help. Fixing our eyes on our heavenly home, let's take as many people with us as possible.



Heb. 11:8-10 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.