November 10, 2008

Lessons From Our D.Q.

I wonder how many books have been written over the years regarding the lessons God teaches us from children. When I worked in the school system, there was a book and poster that quickly became popular entitled "All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." But from working with kids for years, I think it should have been "All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned From God Through Kids" God loves children and He'd use them as visual examples for adults quite often. It was humbling...and needful.

He decided that my husband and I needed a visual this morning. Our 17-month old had to have an ultrasound to make sure there was no kidney damage after wading through a bad infection. Scott and I both lost our peace about a second test that was scheduled by the Dr., so when we got to the hospital and checked in, I told the nurse we were canceling the second procedure. I was just about to duck under the counter expecting a scorn of disapproval, when I heard "Good for you! I had that test done when I was 4 years old and I still remember the pain and trauma to this day." While she went into more details than I really needed, in my heart I shouted to the Lord, "Thank you Jesus for leading us as her parents!"

God gave us a theatrical child. I purchased a pacifier with "Drama Queen" inscribed across it to subtly warn others of the show that might appear. The ultrasound required a parent to hold her down while they slathered her with gel like a turkey gets buttered for Thanksgiving. Then the attempt to get decent pictures amidst thrashing, screaming, and crocodile tears.

When we got into the van and started to drive home, her daddy turned around in his seat and said something very sweet and tender to her. The picture above shows the punishment she returned. She was very angry at what she just experienced...clueless to all she'd been helped with and saved from. That second test would have been more horrifying and painful than that little mind and heart can begin to comprehend. She doesn't know...but her Daddy does.

Scott looked at me and said what I was thinking, "Aren't we just like that? We get mad at what suffering our Father does allow into our lives and don't realize a fraction of what He has saved us from." But He does. He knows one day we will see the reality of hell and understand that in every one of our moments here on earth, God was working EVERYTHING for our good, His glory, and His love governed it all. Our scowls, turned heads, furrowed brows and hardened hearts do not quench, dampen, or diminish a bit of God's love for His children.

I have written within my Bible pages a quote from Joni Erickson Tada, "God permits things He hates to accomplish things He loves much more."

So...as the saying goes...who's your Daddy?