November 1, 2008

Honesty...it's messy

Hello friends. Our chapter this week for the ladies study is on "Honesty." In light of this, I'm going to be the first to walk down that light-filled highway with this confession. Rather than a few thought provoking reflections or deep pondering in the Word or whatever else would be praiseworthy, I have a seriously hungry stomach after only 24 hours of no food. I love my pastor. I believe it's the Lord's voice he heard when he called us all to fast "for such a time as this." But I've had an hour to myself this evening...after a long day with a sick little one (again)...and I have tried to ignore my flesh. It has screamed, growled, rumbled and roared. To retaliate, I've prayed, cleaned, prayed some more, ignored, then reminded myself of all the starving children in other countries my dad always told me about as a kid. It never worked then...it isn't working now. I'm cranky and we have 2 more days.

Pep talk has not worked. Ridiculing myself with internal mocking about my weakness and how pathetic I'm being (inside where no one can see) has only caused me to do Matthew 5:25 "Agree with thine adversary quickly...lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison." Prisoners have food. I'm not watching TV but I bet if I did, there would be a big, thick, juicy hamburger on the screen or something. Am I the only one that gets consumed with what I cannot have? Is it not a constant demand of our flesh to give it 100% attention in one way or another?!!

Ahhhhhh....so thankful that the Lord wrote Romans 6 and 13:14 "But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh." And Galatians 5:24 "And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." Feeling better yet? Gal. 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

Ok...I'm doing better. I was just being honest...this is who I am. See why I'm so thankful Jesus gave EVERYTHING for me?! This flesh has been crucified! Not even gonna think about food. And to think I'm whining about a few days fasting with the Holy Spirit's help when the future of our nation, etc. is at stake. Or is that "steak?"

I'm getting a houseguest soon. They will want to eat.