November 11, 2008

Heaven's New Choir Member

My very dear friend Mary Barrett went home to be with the Lord last night. After speaking with her briefly only days ago, hearing her struggle with every breath and the pain attached to each word, I rejoice that her suffering is over. She is looking into the face of the One she has sung to for years. The joy she must be experiencing! But I'm going to greatly miss my friend. I'd like to do something special on this blog in the future about her...there are many wonderful pictures and years of memories and funny stories I can share...I just need a little time. I know you all understand. Prov. 10:7a "The memory of the righteous is blessed." Click here if you would like to go to her website.


A friend sent me a devotional from the Updated Version of Streams in the Desert. It follows the same "flow" of encouragement the Lord has been speaking to all of us lately. I pray you are as encouraged and blessed by it as I was.

Seek Communion

"They that dwell under his shadow shall return; 
they shall revive as the corn and grow as the vine" (Hosea 14:7).

The day closed with heavy showers. The plants in my garden were beaten down before the pelting storm, and I saw one flower that I had admired for its beauty and loved for its fragrance exposed to the pitiless storm. The flower fell, shut up its petals, dropped its head; and I saw that all its glory was gone. "I must wait till next year," I said, "before I see that beautiful thing again."

That night passed, and morning came; the sun shone again, and the morning brought strength to the flower. The light looked at it, and the flower looked at the light. There was contact and communion, and power passed into the flower. It held up its head, opened its petals, regained its glory, and seemed fairer than before. I wonder how it took place--this feeble thing coming into contact with the strong thing, and gaining strength!

I cannot tell how it is that I should be able to receive into my being a power to do and to bear by communion with God, but I know It is a fact.

Are you in peril through some crushing, heavy trial? Seek this communion with Christ, and you will receive strength and be able to conquer. "I will strengthen thee."