November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Post-Part 2

Ah well, it's confession time. For 3 days, I have scoured the Internet looking for some amazing Thanksgiving story, picture, quote or video, just so I could "copy and paste" it here (giving credit wherever it's due, of course). I have watched military slide shows that would melt the Grinch, read memoir's that were both inspiring and depressing, been refreshed with perspectives on gratitude only to become mentally coagulated from all kinds of poetry. I even read a nice pink floral blog on selfishness that made me feel like I'd been spanked with a giant turkey leg. Honestly, there is an abundance of material to "feast" on by people all over the web who write so much better than I do.

Like this for example:

May your stuffing be tasty

May your turkey plump,

May your potatoes and gravy

Have nary a lump.

May your yams be delicious

And your pies take the prize,

And may your Thanksgiving dinner

Stay off your thighs!

In all seriousness, I want to encourage you to "surf" despite the winter weather. I've begun to compile a list of blogs I like to visit periodically. (Look down along the left-hand column of this blog). I never fail to find myself hitting links to blogs that THEY read and before I know it, I've traveled across the country eaves-dropping on Godly people's thoughts , conversations and personal reflections without ever leaving my chair. They have terrific Thanksgiving entries to enjoy.

I have to get back to my sad attempts at baking but want to wish everyone a very joy-filled Thanksgiving. My husband asked me last night, "Tell me the first thought that comes to your mind, straight from your heart, when I ask you the question 'What are you most thankful for in this last year?'" Immediately, my mind raced past the four children I've miscarried, my two half-sisters that died, my dear friend who just passed away and my dog that had to have a new home two weeks ago. I turned around and said, "I'm so thankful that I have Jesus. In spite of one of the most difficult years of my entire life, He has given me hope and is bringing me through it by grace. I have absolute faith that He is going to use all of these things in the future-somehow-for my good and His glory." I just stood there for a moment and realized that God was answering the cry of my heart...that though there has been much loss, I would feel no lack. Psalm 23...He's filling my life with more of Himself.


In a world where people come and go, money has swift wings, health is fleeting and fear levels are rising...the Lord is a faithful, unchangeable, immovable Rock that has rescued, relieved, revived and refreshed me. My thankfulness is tucked deeply within the invisible reality of all that is in Christ...the food, family, friends, etc are all of God's bonuses because of His goodness. He is SO GOOD...worthy of all our praise and thanksgiving. I guess I did start to ramble a bit didn't I?

Have a happy Thanksgiving!