January 21, 2009

Sherri Youngward's "Scripture Songs" CD


Isa 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Do you ever wake up earlier than you'd like because your mind's alarm clock has betrayed you? It happened the other day. The "snooze" button of my thoughts was broken, so I surrendered and grabbed some coffee, Grandma Rose's blanket, my hot neck wrap and started to pray. It didn't take long for me to discover that my vocabulary went on vacation and left my heart with no words to give to God. So thankful He understands my groans and heavy sighs (Rom.8:26).

I reached over to the radio knowing my new favorite CD was waiting to be played and turned the volume way down low. The words of Psalm 1 began to flow from Sherri's new "Scripture Songs" CD and the heaviness in my heart began to lift. The next song was from 1 Cor.13, then 1 John 4, Psalm 23, Philippians 4, and on the songs went...each with their own unique melody and tempo...but comfortingly familiar. What better words could be memorized in song than pure scripture?

The final song is named "Heaven" with the first four verses of Revelation 21 sung like you are halfway there, peering over the edge of this earthly realm to our glorious destination. It's where I launched off into prayer with the Lord finding the vocabulary of my heart had arrived through the music. This is what Sherri writes about the last song:

Years ago, my friend Debbi asked me to come sing to a woman who was in her last moments on earth. I sang at the foot of her bed, and Debbi climbed up and softly read Scriptures to her about heaven. Though the frail woman could not use words, her countenance spoke clearly. This song is for those who might wish to climb up next to a loved one and speak softly to them about heaven. Or maybe you are the one who needs to remember—that God will wipe away every tear...

Sherri is another one of my close friends and if there's one thing I know about her, everything she has and is wants to bless God and point people to Jesus. She's poured her heart into this project (along with some others like Danny Donnelly) while using life-giving lyrics. I've placed a direct link to her website if you click on the CD above.