January 5, 2009

God's Possibilities

Oh, I love Sundays. (Not ice cream...it's too cold.) I love driving to church in the morning, praying with Maddie for the service, the worship and the people who will be there, then pulling into the parking lot shouting "we're here!" while her little hands start clapping in the back seat. Scott and I pray that she develops a heart like David's in Psalm 27:4 "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple."

I remember praying about this scripture and thinking how marvelous it would be to be able to serve the Lord full-time, yet I never thought He would actually allow me that privilege. Much less, being able to serve alongside my husband...and even less than that, that my husband would be a pastor.

I never knew the plans God had because I was so consciously aware of my own insecurities and limitations, rather than understanding God's capacity and His sufficiency. The past convinced me I was disqualified for any future use...I had no understanding of the true extent of the grace and mercy of God. I wrongly interpreted many of God's "pauses", times of not being used by the Lord noticeably, as indicators of His displeasure, rather than a multitude of other possibilities.

Inadequacy is a requisite in ministry. Incapacity is God's opportunity. Weakness is an invitation for God's strength. Moses' stammering lips and difficulty speaking were a gift, though he perceived it as an obstacle too great for God to use Him as a spokesman. Gideon was hiding for fear of the enemy when God called him "a mighty man of valor." Mary called herself a female slave (handmaid) while heaven proclaimed her the mother of God.

It's good to walk in an awareness of our "smallness" rather than having a pride-filled estimation of ourselves. But don't ever let the past or the present cloud your hope in God's possibilities for the future. Nor view your own physical, emotional, intellectual, financial, or social limitations as mountains too high and obstacles too strong for God to overcome. It's easy to say "yes" to that in our heads...but believe in your heart...our God is limitless in His possibilities and power. His desire is to still get glory from your life and to grow deeper in your relationship with Him...or you would be in heaven with Him today. So may God bless you, keep you, and encourage you today.

Isa 40:4,5a "Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed."

2Co 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

1Co 1:27-29 "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence."