December 27, 2008

Token Thoughts

I did my usual routine this morning and slowly meandered out into the kitchen. My internal GPS knows the most direct route to the coffee pot and sitting next to it, as usual, my favorite mug with a scripture placed over the top. Whoever wakes up first in the morning gets the coffee going, pulls out a cup for the other person, prays for them, then randomly picks a scripture out of the "Bread Box" to place upon their cup. We've done it for years and automatically do the same for anyone that may come to stay with us (tea drinkers equally accompanied). It costs nothing but a moment of consideration and time to pray for the other person...God does the rest with His Word. And yet, whenever I'm the recipient of this little token of love in the morning, it still blesses my heart.

I believe the Lord sends us little "tokens" of His goodness all the time. Small indicators of His love and reminders that His thoughts are towards us continually (Ps. 139). It's just that they can be easily overlooked, missed because we're in a hurry, or sometimes taken for granted. I don't know how many times I have prayed, "Lord, open my eyes to see You today! Help me to hear Your voice and to be sensitive to Your Spirit in everything that happens." To see that ANY Godly friends I have in my life are because You have given me favor in their hearts. To see that I am surrounded by good, imperfect churches that are filled with sinners saved by grace like me. To see that I have clothes on my back, food that You've provided and some form of shelter over my head. I inherited a huge family when You adopted me. If I'm in America, I have freedom to worship.

I just erased at least two full paragraphs. I realized I could go on and on for a very long time. It did my heart good to think this morning on the multitude of reasons I have to be thankful, rather than listen to my flesh groan and complain about what it wants. It does my spirit good when I rest in the promise of His provision, rather than to listen to the enemy who wants me fearful and to believe that I am lacking somehow.

Since you stopped by, here are some coffee cup scriptures for you today:

Ps 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

Ps 34:9 Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. The young lions lack and suffer hunger; But those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing.

Ps 115:11 You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD; He is their help and their shield.