December 6, 2008

My Friend Mary Barrett

Everyone has gone to bed but myself. I've been trying for weeks now to write some type of memorial for one of the greatest friendships I've been given by the Lord. I can't do it. It may be too soon....but every time I write a sentence or hover over a paragraph, it turns out to be a poor reflection of what I want to say, portray or convey. The "backspace" button is nearly worn off my keyboard. I'll just upload a brief video I made tonight with a few pictures I have of Mary over the last few years. The majority of my pictures aren't digital. Her awesome "big hair" days are absent...

The song behind the pictures is special. As most people know, Mary primarily played the guitar. Though I completely believe she could've played a tennis racquet because it had strings on it, she also plunked around with several other instruments. A while back, she told me she was "learning" how to play the piano. Every now and then, she'd give me a piano update and I thought that I'd get to hear a perfect rendition of "Chopsticks" when I saw her later at the East Coast Pastor's Wives conference. One of the days of the retreat, I went to find her so we could eat lunch together and was stopped by the worship I heard in the main auditorium. When I peeked in, I was STUNNED to hear the incredible music that Mary was playing on the piano. I quietly snuck up behind her, jumped out and knocked her off the bench saying "Learning? You are LEARNING to play the piano?!" It would take me a brief eon to learn how to make my fingers dance on a keyboard like hers were in such a short time. Over the next 30 minutes, she sang and played several songs for me. This is the one that drew me to tears. The next week, I got an e-mail with the song recorded and attached. It's called "I Will Care For You."

No...I don't think I'll ever be able to express what Mary's friendship meant to me, nor adequately reveal the permanent imprint she's made upon my life. God's friendships are one of the most special "good gifts" He loans us by His grace. May yours be just as cherished, God-centered, and life-changing as mine was...I certainly can't wait to pick up in heaven where we left off on earth.