April 2, 2011

Note To Self, "The Lord is Here"

As I looked into the mirror while brushing my teeth, the bags under my eyes looked like a luggage set.

Socks off and PJ's on, I slid across the terrain of our king-size bed and wrapped my arm around my husbands ribs. Then, like the start of an old-time movie reel, my thoughts began to splash across the screen of my mind. Replays of the events of the day quickly led to heart-breaking news from a phone call I'd received. Then the video switched to display every worst-case scenario based on that phone call. I quickly grabbed hold of those thoughts and began to cry out to the Lord, "This is too much for me Lord. Please pour out your grace and mercy for this trial...it's just too much."

As Scott pulled up the sheets around his chin, I started to ask him, "Honey, could you please ask the Lord..." to which I heard a familiar voice interrupting my thoughts, "I'm right here. Why are you asking him to talk to Me?"

The sudden realization that Jesus was closer to me than my husband and the absurdity that I would ask anyone else to be a mediator for me made me smile. I said "Sorry" to the Lord and "Never mind" to Scott. Then proceeded to pray until I fell asleep.

The Lord didn't answer or speak again that night concerning the things in my heart. He didn't need to. But somewhere during the day, in the midst of my hurt, how easily I'd forgotten the reality of His Presence. The promise of His nearness. The tender reassurance that He draws close to the broken-hearted. His ear is open to our cry.

"He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him." Ps.91:15 

May you rest in the comfort that there is no one on the earth closer or more loving than your Jesus.