April 10, 2011

Do You Have Your Pilot's License?

"I know, O LORD, that a man's way is not in himself, Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his [own] steps." Jer. 10:23

 I don't remember which flight I was on, nor where I was going, when I looked up from the magazine I was reading to see a pilot fast asleep in the row ahead of me. What would  YOUR first thought be? Yeah, mine too. I thought "Wow, I'm sure his hand is totally numb from that awkward position."

Ok, so maybe yours were more along the line of, "I wonder who's flying the plane?" or "Praise the Lord for the auto pilot button," or something along the obvious. But while I tossed around all kinds of one-liners in my head for self-amusement, the Lord interrupted my thoughts and said "Shannon, I'd like you to be like this pilot." 

He began to speak to me about how I wanted to take over the "cockpit" of my life and navigate where I was going, control the speed or pace of my circumstances, as well as determining the final destination of my current trial. I was experiencing a lot of painful turbulence in my life and just like the sudden drop that comes with hitting a massive air pocket, I did NOT like the sense of losing control. I didn't realize, but the Lord did, that I was fearful of a devastating crash.

But as the verse says...it isn't in us, by nature, with our finite, limited-range, obstructed and myopic view of life, to know the best path for us to take. The Lord definitely was not behind the old bumper sticker that read "God is my Co-Pilot." Instead, He repeats Himself throughout the Bible, with verses like Prov. 3:5, 6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." Psalm 32:8 "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go: I will guide you with my eye."

The best position for any of us is like this pilot...completely at rest knowing the Lord is in control. Trust only knows how to produce rest. Trust...lean...pray and acknowledge...then rest as He directs the course.
           Even through storm clouds.
                                                      Even through turbulence. 

"Then they are glad because they are quiet; So He guides them to their desired haven." 
Psalm 107:30