March 3, 2009

Home Inspections


For many years I worked as a home inspector for insurance companies. The essence of my job was to have specially trained eyes that looked for places on the outside and inside of a home that may be potentially hazardous, areas in need of repair, and then submit a report about its overall condition-from the foundation to the roof. The insurance company wanted to know if they should cover the property based upon the risk of future claims. It ruined my ability to ever again look at a house and see nothing but the beauty of it. When my husband and I looked at the home we have now, in interest of buying it 7 years ago, we got into the car afterwards and he asked me, "So honey...did you like the kitchen?" I was stunned. I'm the wife and yet had zero recall of that area. I remembered the heating ducts, copper plumbing, insulation issues, the drainage problem and the foundation.

I was reminded of this when I came across that familiar passage in Matthew 7:24-27 today. Jesus was a master carpenter and he was concerned about the foundation which people built their "dwelling places" on as well. He was able to see past the outward distractions of lavishly holy veneers and hypocritical garnishes. The "white" exterior that glistened from the world's sunlight reflected death to the eyes of the True Son (Matthew 23:27).


Mt 7:24-27 "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."

The Lord says we are all builders busy about constructing our lives, but we fit in only two categories: either builders on a solid rock foundation or unstable sand. There WILL be times of torrential downpours that beat upon all of our lives. Times when the shifting and forceful winds of change and circumstance will push against us and try and knock us down. There will be times where we feel flooded and overwhelmed in the midst of life's trials. Jesus had only one concern-the foundation. If the foundation of a life is secure and built correctly, nothing that comes against that life will shake it, knock it down, or bury it. It will withstand it all in great victory.

Who would NOT want to live in a house with that kind of guarantee? How much more if it applies to our very own lives? Only one thing is needed. The Carpenter of our soul says "Listen to Me and DO what I say." That's it. If we read His Word, listen to Him in prayer or in Bible studies, it means nothing until we DO what we have been told to do. Obedience=Solid Rock foundation.


John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Ps 62:7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the Rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

I'd love for the Lord to inspect my life and find that there are no cracks in my foundation or holes that make it vulnerable. If there are...there is always a remedy in the cement of repentance and sealant of obedience applied with the power of the Holy Spirit. God bless you today.