February 15, 2009

Thankful Drivers


I loved this picture when I first saw it. I was able to download it freely and actually converted it into a black and white photo. Then I pulled only the red color out from the tree on the left, printed it, framed it and hung it in our guest room. Looking at it now brought something to mind.

It makes no sense to me why the designers of this road made it to twist and wind like a snake...it's not as though this was a mountain with cliffs requiring the curves. Why not make it a straight shot? Shortest distance between two points is a straight line! I like to drive that way...efficient; get there; don't get nauseous or wear out the tires going back and forth. Saves fuel. It makes no sense to me when I look at it.


But of course, what do I know about highway design? I'm not the engineer that had to calculate for the safest gradient with a knowledge of the terrain, calculate the safest speed as well as lane and shoulder width, horizontal and vertical clearances, and stopping distances for those deer that come out of nowhere. Yet, I would want to drive right down the center, breaking traffic laws by crossing the solid yellow lines between the two lanes. I'm certain I know less than the designer...but at times, I think I know best and want to make progress my own way. I don't think I've ever praised the Lord or thanked Him immediately when I get pulled over by a Trooper that was watching. I do remember getting pulled over for a speeding ticket and with that small delay, I missed a very big accident just a couple of miles down the road. I thanked the Lord then.

I should thank Him that He's the Designer of the road I travel all the time; whether it's full of nauseating twists, hidden turns, boring stretches, dark tunnels or cautionary speed bumps to slow me down. The Holy Spirit is a great Trooper in life. Pay attention to not cross the solid yellow lines in scripture, stay watchful and pray about your "speed limit."

Pr. 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

Rom.12:16d "Do not be wise in your own opinion."

Pr 3:5-8 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

Isa 35:8 And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it...