February 24, 2009

The Lord is Our Banner

I wiped the sweat from my forehead, took another swig of water, and ran onto the basketball court. There were only seconds left to play in the game and our team was down by one point. As the referee held the ball, the noise from hundreds of screaming fans with elephant feet stomping on the bleachers ricocheted off the brick walls at a deafening level. The coach had lost his voice trying to yell above the crowd, so his hands waved furiously to get my attention and call a different play. Our opponent had sent in all of their biggest players. The referee's whistle pierced through the confusing clamour and I glanced up quickly to the stands.

There was my mom. Though a thousand voices shouted, I could hear her voice. Though a thousand hands were waving, clapping, playing drums and shaking pom-poms, I could see my mom wave directly at me, give me the "thumbs up", and mouth the words "you can do it!" She was always my biggest fan. Every sport I played, whether I played well or poorly, I could always hear her voice through the crowd and see her cheer despite any obstacle.
She hasn't changed over the years. As I felt the ball hit my hands, the clock started its countdown and I aimed for the basket with a giant in front of me...

Psalm 60:4 "Thou hast given a banner to them that fear Thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth." The Israelites were going through a time of great affliction when this psalm was written and the Lord knew they needed a rallying point.
A banner was like a sign or flag representing that army (or their leader) raised on a pole in the midst of a battle to encourage the troops. As the soldiers would be fighting, one of the main strategies was to try and capture the opponent's banner to cause confusion, discouragement, and communicate that defeat was near.

So it is for us as Christians. The Lord has shown us that we are in a spiritual battle with eternal consequences...and only seconds left on the clock. 1Tim. 6:12 "Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called." 2Tim. 2:3 "You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier." But the Lord also knows...in any war, there are wounds that come. We have the term "battle weary" today as soldiers become weak, tired and weary from continual fighting. There are stresses, fears, and such extreme discouragement that come specifically from the battlefields that only soldiers can know of.

Therefore, the prophecy of Isaiah 11:10 says "And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse (Jesus), Who shall stand as a banner to the people; For the Gentiles shall seek Him, And His resting place shall be glorious."
If you are not on "leave" but thick in the battle these days, Jesus is our rallying point. He is our Banner that was lifted up on a "pole" to bring us all into His ultimate victory. Through the clamor of the world, amidst the yelling of many voices, over the stomping of distractions and various people giving directions...look up to the One Who is your Captain.

You'll see His scarred wrists and His mouth will speak words of love and victory. His rest is and forever will be glorious. The celebration at the end will be unprecedented and everything we endured here on earth will seem unworthy to be compared to what awaits us.
I think of all the smaller battles that Christ has wrought victory in my own life and the greatest one was for my heart. I was conquered by Christ's love. That's what Song of Solomon says...Song 2:4 "He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Heb 12:1 'Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.