May 4, 2011

Food for Thought

I'm not sure what you call those "rules of life" that everyone seems to know by the time you get to adulthood, but I violated one of the chief commands. "Thou shalt not grocery shop on an empty stomach." There's some kind of "alteration" that happens initially to your senses and then an "altar-ation" occurs between you and food.

Peanut butter cups transform into an invaluable protein. The smell of freshly baked bread makes you pick up artisan loaves that cost more than filet mignon. You become convinced that you will make, bake, try and fry foods that in reality, will never see the light of day until you dust the pantry years later.  Items that repulsed you with their 26-letter chemical ingredients now seem to draw you like a tractor beam while fixated on the box's embellished photo. You believe every promise (Slim Fast?), visit every sample table (Spam what?), and focus on the miles you just earned by charging all of it on your Visa.  Hunger...right feeling...wrong timing.

On the contrary, I found myself sitting in front of my Bible not too long ago asking the Lord to stir my hunger. Not the kind of hunger for sweet imitations of His truth nor misapplied promises that may never see the light of day. Not a hunger for tainted interpretations of Who Jesus is that embellish a certain characteristic of His nature. I didn't want to only sample His delicacies through devotionals either. I asked Jesus if He could stir a ferocious appetite deep within my heart that nothing on earth would satisfy but Him. For His righteousness, relationship, and the revelation of the kingdom I am to pursue above all. It was a prayer He faithfully answered...so let's feast today!


"For He satisfies the longing soul and fills the hungry soul with goodness."
Ps. 107:9

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness; for they shall be filled."
Matt. 5:6