April 8, 2010

Choking on Size 7's

Peter wasn't the only one who knew what a foot tasted like. I left a meeting recently with my size 7's hanging from my mouth. A friend of mine calls it her "gate problem." When the mouth swings wide open without your permission.

"I need a better latch. Wait. Make mine a padlock" I responded. Half of my drive home I asked the Lord's forgiveness while trying to send a back-peddling text message of apology to my friend.

In Mark 1:41-45, Jesus cleansed a leper that sought to be healed. (NAS)

And He (Jesus) sternly warned him... “See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest...as a testimony to them.” But he went out and began to proclaim it freely and to spread the news around, to such an extent that Jesus could no longer publicly enter a city, but stayed out in unpopulated areas.

Have you ever identified yourself with this leper? I have. Newly cleansed from a horrible disease that has kept him separated from family and friends and he's supposed to "say nothing to anyone?" I can almost feel the floods of emotion that overcame him and drowned out the Lord's command. But by not keeping his mouth closed like Jesus asked....even though it may not have made sense to him...look what the consequences were:
  • He missed an opportunity to be used as a testimony to the religious leaders that Jesus was the Messiah. His actions would have spoken volumes more than his words. 
  • The thankful testimony of the leper reached many ears and stirred curious minds, but the hearts of those in the city were unreached by the Lord (at that time). 
Sometimes, I need the Lord's boldness and the Spirit's power to give me the right words to speak to others about the gospel and truth. But always, I need to be obedient when the Lord has told me to be quiet. His ways are above our ways and oftentimes, past finding out (Isaiah 55:8).

I really need to get my hands on that poster that says "Preach the Word always. When necessary, use words." In the meantime, I hope I'm done flossing with shoe laces.