August 29, 2009

It's a Daily Thing

I love mornings like this. Though tomatoes and strawberries are growing out my back window and a hummingbird darts furiously around a feeder, the perfume of autumn is preceding fall's arrival. I love the colors, smells, tastes and textures of fall. Many link this season with New York's seemingly eternal winter close behind, but I rather soak up each day of autumn and deal with winter when it announces itself.

That in mind, I had a moment to pick up my Christian's Daily Challenge devotional and would like to share with anyone who cares to read. It just seemed to piggyback on this light fall fragrance in the air...

"I must walk today." Lk.13:23
"Give us THIS DAY our daily bread." Matt.6:11

Apprehension sometimes comes from looking too far ahead. How few of us really live in the present! Most of us are perpetually saddened by looking back upon our past, or filled with apprehensions from looking forward into a dim and shadowy future. We are crippled in our exertions because we fail to seize vigorously upon the present. Let us learn to live now. What peace of mind it produces, what weight of character-"I do one thing at a time."

A Christian can no more take in a supply of grace for the future that he can eat today to last him for the next six months, or take sufficient air into his lungs at once to sustain life for a week to come. We must draw upon God's boundless stores of grace from day to day, as we need it.